So I want to be able to share with family and friends regulary, so I plan on using this blog as much as possible. I will share neat stories and experiences I have, but of course can't discuss missions specific information, or any upcoming missions. It's getting late at night here, and I need to get to sleep, so I'll just give a brief explanation of where I'm at and what it's like on base. The majority of the rest of these posts will be what it's like outside of the wire, where my mission actually takes place.
First of all, I'm station on Bagram Air base and operate around the base in the area called the BSZ. I currently live in a "B-Hut" with 8 other leaders in my platoon. We have individual walls built to give us some privacy. Each of our area's is about 9x9, which is around the size of a prison cell. At least it's my own. I have a projector hooked up to my computer and xbox that I can watch movies on or play games, but don't seem to find much time for that.
We are in the Parwan province of Afghanistan, which is north of Kabul. The biggest town close to us is Charikar.
The dust from all the trucks and planes and stuff moving around is always in the air. It makes running suck. When all the dust settles, the sight is something to fall in love with. We are surrounded on all sides by mountains. The peaks of the highest ones have snow year round, but the snow is working its way down the side of the mountain. There is a lot of senior ranked people here, so it is a lot like being in garrison, not so much a war zone. There are lots of allies here as well. Our compound is next to the Republic of Korea (ROK) Engineers who help build roads and schools.
Well, that's a brief summary of where I'm at. Next post I'll talk about the area around us and begin sharing stories and experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment